Friday, December 3, 2010

The Way I Roll...

Literally... I roll my camera case these days.  I have gotten to the age where I no longer feel the necessity to prove my manhood by carrying 45 lbs. of equipment slung over one shoulder.  At least that's what I tell myself, the reality is that I can't carry that much gear anymore, even if I wanted to.  I use a Think Tank, Airport International, and when I need my laptop, a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60, on most jobs these days.  Certainly there are times when everything has to go in a backpack, because a roller isn't practical, but anytime I can save my back, I will.  Even though I use an assistant on most jobs, I still lug gear around, and wheels are the way to go.


Photo and more after the jump...
These bags also make getting through an airport much easier.  These days, anything that makes travelling less of a nightmare, is a good thing.  The beauty of both of these bags is,  they're not beautiful.  The look like every other M.B.A. suited, business traveller's bags.  That makes them less of a target for thieves, and easier to get through check-in, and security.  Airline check-in people see thousands of bags just like these every day, and they know that they fit in the overhead bins and don't look twice at them.  So much so, that I rarely get asked to have them weighed.  Which is a very good thing, since the last time my roller was weighed it tipped the scales at 48 lbs.  More than twice the allowable weight of 22 lbs. for carry ons.

My roller and laptop bag with contents.
The gear shown above is what I may carry on a typical job.  Actually, typical doesn't really exist, so I just stuffed them with a lot of gear that I use regularly.


I do many kinds of work, but two of them, in particular, require different approaches.  A portrait shoot is mostly about hauling a pile of gear to a location, or two or three, setting up, shooting, and packing up.  More photojournalistic type work often requires me working on my own in the field for many hours at a time.  In which case I wouldn't be carrying all of the above gear with me all the time.  I would need a pack mule to follow me everywhere, which would make it a bit hard to be discreet.

When I want to travel light, I may leave the majority of my gear in my hotel, or for most of the places I find myself, a Motel 6, and only carry the bare minimum with me.  In which case I usually carry a couple of bodies, with a 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses, and a bit of  other gear in a Newswear belt and pouch system.  Typically, I would have a 14-24mm lens, a flash, extra batteries, a notebook, and a pen, around my waist.  I might also carry a small backpack with stuff like; food, water, jacket, etc.

Anyway, that's the way I roll, or at least the way I roll my gear.

4 comments:

Kiwinky said...

Awesome post!

Curious - what's the little beaded necklace for? :)

Unknown said...

Thanks. First, let's get one thing straight, it's a bracelet, not a necklace. It's one of the essential charms and various drawings that my girls have made for me, and insist that I carry them wherever I go.

Mtomalty said...

Right !!

First, everything's become too heavy then the beaded NECKLACE....

Is there something you're not telling us Kris ?

:-))

Unknown said...

Road rules: what happens on the road, stays on the road.