Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gear I Use

Most of the gear I use is reasonably expensive.  Actually, I'm not sure that it makes sense to use the word reasonable in reference to things like a $5000 camera body or $7000 lens, but such is the life of a photographer.  Today, however, I want to talk about a great piece of gear that costs about 20 bucks.  That's right, I said $20.


Don't believe me, follow the jump for more.
Here it is, the best $20 you'll ever spend.

Huh?
O.K. you would be well within your rights to say "Twenty bucks for a piece of camera gear?  Sounds great, but what is it?"


Here it is attached to a $25 painters pole, from Home Depot


Now does it make sense?

This doohickey is a pole adapter which converts a standard painter's pole into a hand-held light stand.  While you may now understand what it is, the why may still elude you.  Why would you want to use a hand held pole, when a light stand will do the same thing without requiring an assistant to hold it.  You would be right, when a stand will do the trick, use one.  But, there are times when a stand isn't practical.

How about when you are moving around, shooting portraits on the go?  I did that when I had to shoot runners after they had just crossed the finish line of a 10KM race.  Or maybe you shoot weddings, and you're tired of having your backgrounds go pitch black at the reception.  You could have someone hold a second flash up high and pointed towards your background, to give some more light and avoid the dreaded "I had my wedding in a cave" look.  Or if you are a photographer in New York City, where they passed a law which says that any photo shoot that uses light stands requires a permit, you could use a few of these and some assistants and avoid the hassle and expense of a permit.

The uses are pretty much endless.  I'm not saying that these will replace light stands, but for about 50 bucks, adapter and pole, they won't break the bank and you'll probably find yourself using one, when nothing else would really do the trick.  Trust me when I say, I'm not the only one who finds these things useful.  One or two other folks you've probably never heard of like'em too.

Want one, go here.

5 comments:

Desi said...

Sweeeeeet!!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Great bit of kit for the money....

Soo said...

I just saw this in Joe McNally's blog while looking for Justin clamps.
Thanks Chris for great class, I learned a lot and had great fun as well. Merry Christmas!

Jeff said...

Ah yes i know what you mean i've assisted in wedding where i held the second light. Really good for giving more of a 3d lighting

Melanie said...

great tip. Thanks Chris!!