Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Behind the picture...

Doing this job is a privilege.  It is a privilege that I have worked very hard to earn, and with it, the right to call myself a photographer.  Part of what makes it a privilege is that occasionally I get to see some things, do some things, and meet some people who are very interesting.  Every once and a while I meet someone who is fascinating, someone who is known around the world, and is making history.

A few years ago I had the chance to meet two of those people at the same time.  It was, to say the least, an awesome experience.  The word awesome gets overused, especially in less that truly awesome circumstances.  This was not one of them.

Follow the jump for the photo and more...



The Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu, backstage before a speech.
When I heard that the Dalai Lama was coming to town, I started lobbying the organizers for special access.  The process took 3 months.  This involved telling both the magazine I hoped to shoot for that I had secured the special access, and the organizers that I had a guarantee of a multi page photo essay from the magazine.  It was kinda of a chicken and egg thing, but I had to do it, otherwise, neither  would have given me what I wanted.

As it turned out, the person with whom I had been negotiating my access , didn't really have the authority to grant it.  So, the negotiations started over at the Dalai Lama's first event.  Fortunately, the people who could give me what I needed were persuaded, and even more importantly, the head of the R.C.M.P. security detail was an officer whom I knew from covering the Prime Minister.  Ultimately, she gave me better access than I could have hoped for.

This picture was one of the very last that I made.  I had been hoping for a chance to shoot a frame without seventeen other people in it.  I also wanted something that showed the special relationship between the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu.  The two of them are like school boys when they're together.  Laughing and playing practical  jokes on each other.  At one point the Dalai Lama snuck up behind Tutu and tickled him.  It was a delight to see two world figures who didn't follow the usual script of strict diplomacy and decorum.  Instead they were warm, friendly, and approachable.  I had a couple of opportunities to chat with both of them and it was fabulous.

After four days of covering them both, I felt that I got a picture that captured the warmth and strength of their friendship.

3 comments:

bruce said...

I finally understand blogs now....I remember you showing me that picture of the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu...that's a good commentary that goes with it.....Karsh would be envious...looking forward to see what you're doing for Canadian Press to-morrow....
ta ta

Brian said...

That's great commentary. People often think that getting a really good shot is simple and as a result, the average Joe often under values good photojournalism. If it was that easy, I'd have millions of great shots and get to photograph everything from Desmond Tutu to the Victoria's Secrets shows. I don't have any of them but I'm trying (especially for the latter)

Where was the shot finally published?

Unknown said...

Thanks Brian,

The whole story ran in Maclean's Magazine, with 3 pages in the magazine and about 12 pictures online in a gallery.

CJM