Thursday, November 25, 2010

Joe

As a photographer, looking at other photographer's work is one of the most important things I do.  I love photography, and I love to look at pictures.  It's how I relax, get inspired, am awed, get scared, be entertained, you get the idea.  I look at pictures every day, from my students work to icons like W. Eugene Smith.  

Every once and a while, I meet another photographer whose work I admire.  I had that opportunity last week.

More after the jump...



Joe McNally was in Vancouver leading a workshop, and I had the chance to spend a bit of time with him.  Now, I should mention that I have had occasion to meet other photographers whose work I like.  It hasn't always been a pleasant experience.  Many years ago, I was assigned to shoot a very famous photographer for a magazine.  She will remain nameless, however I will say, she is still a hero of mine, but I wouldn't want her current financial woes.  The shoot was a battle for control, which ended in a draw, at best.

It's tough when you meet someone whom you respect, and they don't turn out to be the person you hoped they would be.

McNally has had a career that has spanned many decades, but more importantly, one that has allowed him to see a lot of interesting things, and meet even more interesting people.  He has worked for Life Magazine, and continues to work for The National Geographic.  Two legendary magazines.  He also defies all of the so-called experts in photography who tell us that you have to specialize, carve out a niche in the market, in order to be successful.  Joe has been successful by doing everything, and doing it well.  If he has a specialty I would guess that it would have to be, getting the picture against all odds.  Joe is a great photographer.

But, more importantly, Joe is a great guy.

Joe McNally, at the office.

Thanks for not disappointing me Joe.

1 comment:

Contact: said...

Where's the 'Like' button on this blog? :)